We are recruiting for the position of SHIPPER/GRAIN HANDLER at our Swift Current location. Working alongside the Shipping Supervisor and/or Shipping Shift Lead, you will be orientated in all aspects of our shipping department. Currently, we operate Monday to Friday 24 hours a day with some additional shifts on Saturday. As the successful candidate, you must be able to work various shifts.
• Inspect, clean, and prepare boxcars, hopper cars and containers for loading.
• Ensure shipping supplies are prepared for each shift and that inventory levels are maintained to minimum quantities. This included bags, thread, needles, bag tag paper, cardboard, strapping material, bulk loading supplies etc.
• Assist with bagging, tagging, sewing and loading procedures.
• Ensure that bags are properly sewn and stitches are tight.
• Assist with the accurate count of each order whether using the robotic palletizing system or using the spitter for live loading to storage containers
• Operate the spitter and ensure the efficient stacking of bags. Complete a double-check and watch for broken bags, unsewn bags, etc.
• Ensure that the visual quality of product is within established company standards. If not, notify the Supervisor immediately. Half way grades of every shipment are mandatory.
• Proper clean-up is to be done during and at the end of each shift. This includes: upper level, bagging room, warehouse, ABC pads, putting away and empty bags not being used, cleaning up all torn bags, picking up garbage and emptying the garbage cans, putting away all tools, etc.
• Assist when needed for general cleanup which includes: cleaning out pits, coffee room, office or working area inside and out.
• Other duties may include: dumping trucks, moving of conveyors and equipment or assist the Plant Operators as needed.
A minimum of some secondary education.
Previous experience in a labour or shipping department is preferred.
An ability to lift up to 100 lbs. and perform repetitive tasks including long periods of standing.
Attention to detail and basic math skills.
An ability to work in a dusty and noisy work environment.
Effective communication skills, both interpersonal and in writing.
Ability to work as a team and to work independently if required.
Willingness to work with the automated shipping equipment – autobagger, autotagger, robotic palletizing system, conveyors, spitter and other related systems.
A valid driver’s license is preferred.
A farming background is an asset.
Simpson Seeds Inc., a family-owned, Saskatchewan based company, has grown to become the largest privately-owned specialty crop exporter in the province. With three locations and over 35 years of experience in the buying, processing and selling of specialty grains, our growing company now employs over 100 people and exports to over 80 countries. Simpson Seeds Inc. is proud to be on the list of Canada's 50 Best Managed Companies - a standing we have held since 2012.